Alameda Man and His Dog Die in Fire

Firefighters in nearby cities were on stand by to help if other fire calls were made.

Sunday, Mar 11, 2012  |  Updated 7:44 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Alameda Man and His Dog Die in Fire

NBC Local Media

Firefighters think the fire started due to an overloaded power plug.

advertisement

A man and his dog were killed in a house fire in Alameda Saturday,  fire officials said.
    Firefighters were dispatched to the blaze at 1810 Elm St. at 8:43 p.m., acting Battalion Chief Bob Buell said.

    The fire was under control about forty minutes later at 9:23 p.m.,  but the resident of the house was killed, Buell said.     Kenneth Chait, 59, was found in the hallway of his home headed to another room. His dachshund was also killed in the fire.
    The fire started in the kitchen, and investigators believe that  the fire may have been started by a potentially overloaded outlet where a dryer and microwave were plugged in.
    The large response to the fire required Alameda firefighters to request assistance from the Oakland Fire Department to standby at Alameda  fire stations in case another call came in, or if the Elm Street fire grew bigger than the Alameda department could handle.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out