BBQ Pit in Campbell Explodes While Girls Roasting Marshmallows, 2 Injured

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Softball players are injured after a backyard fire pit exploded in Campbell. Bob Redell reports.

    A backyard barbecue pit exploded Wednesday night while members of a girls' softball team were roasting marshmallows over it, injuring two of the girls.

    The six teen girls were having a sleepover at their coach's Campbell home and had been sitting around the gas-run barbecue pit when it exploded and sent debris flying, fire officials said.

    Santa Clara County Fire Battalion Chief Wally Finck said crews responded to the explosion in the 800 block of Briarwood Way sometime around 10:15 p.m.

    The explosion did not start a fire and did not damage any structures, Finck said, but two girls were burned on their legs and feet and taken to the hospital for minor burns.

    One girl was seen hopping to an ambulance with a bandage on her left foot. The other girls were picked up by their parents.

    Homeowner and coach Ron Fetsch, who also has a daughter on the team, told NBC Bay Area the blast sounded like a "firecracker" and then he started "seeing some blood."

    He said he has used the barbecue pit at least 50 times without problems. On Thursday, he had been running it for more than 90 minutes before it exploded.

    He said PG&E is investigating.

    NBC Bay Area's Bob Redell, Lauren Inderhees and Bay City News contributed to this report.