Kitchen Fire at Elephant Bar Restaurant in Emeryville Spreads to Nearby Furniture Store - NBC Bay Area
East Bay

East Bay

The latest news from around the East Bay

Kitchen Fire at Elephant Bar Restaurant in Emeryville Spreads to Nearby Furniture Store

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    A two-alarm fire forced two Emeryville businesses to shut down, at least for the night, Alameda County fire officials said.

    The fire started at about 5:30 p.m. in the kitchen of the Elephant Bar Restaurant,  5601 Bay Street, and spread to neighboring home furnishing showroom EQ3 Emeryville.

    When firefighters arrived, they saw smoke and flames coming from the roof of the restaurant, Battalion Chief Chuck Palmer said. Fire officials called the Oakland Fire Department for help when county crews called for a second alarm, Palmer said.

    The fire was in the duct system of the restaurant's kitchen before it spread to the roof. The extent of the damage wasn’t immediately clear. Crews extinguished the fire at about 6 p.m., Palmer said.

    All of the customers and staff of the restaurant escaped without injury and none of the firefighters were injured, he said.

    Get the latest from NBC Bay Area anywhere, anytime
    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android