It might not be easy to find an affordable apartment to rent in San Francisco, but you certainly can find a mansion.
A mansion in the City’s Forest Hill Extension neighborhood is listed on Craigslist at $45,000 a month, down from the original list price of $50,000 a month.
The price was dropped over the weekend, according to the listing agent, who says they’re still putting the finishing touches on the rental mansion. The listing says the home, not far from Golden Gate Park, is available beginning April 1.
The listing agent wouldn’t say how he came up with the rental price for the four-bedroom, 6,400-square-foot home. The home also includes a library, a game room with a second kitchen, and a custom-paneled elevator to help tenants move up and down the four stories inside.
The rent might sound awfully high, but the agent says others in the area have rented for well above $10,000 a month.
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, a recent poll showed only 42 percent of respondents considered their homes in the City affordable. Of course, the definition of “affordable” can vary widely.
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee says he wants 30,000 more housing units built within five to six years, with a portion of that to be “affordable.”
As for the mansion, potential renters better have their act together: They want your paystubs, bank statements and proof of employment before they’ll consider letting you sign on the one-year leases’s dotted line.
The home's features and amenities, as described on Craigslist:
- 6,355 square feet and 4 stories
- 4 bedrooms, including huge master suite with 2 walk-in closets with full custom cabinetry
- 5 1/2 baths, including a 280 s.f. master bath with bookmatched marble walls and floor
- Open, airy top level features spacious living and dining areas with stunning views and custom cedar paneling, gourmet chef's eat-in kitchen, and 2nd family room areas
- Enormous decorative fireplace
- All custom woodwork and stonework throughout home
- Custom walnut paneled library
- Deck with views off of gigantic family/game room, with 2nd kitchen
- 8' doors
- Custom staircase
- Custom walnut- paneled elevator
- Lots of closet storage
- Slate roof
- State of the art wiring for a/v and tech. capability
- Blocks from West Portal
- Short Distance to Golden Gate Park & Stonestown Galleria
- 18 Schools located within the area
- Public Transportation just blocks away
- Tenants pay for all utilities