2 Hospitalized in 1-Alarm House Fire in San Jose

View Comments (


    A one-alarm structure fire on Rockway Dr. in San Jose injured two residents and displaced four people Sunday morning, according to the San Jose Fire Department.

    Two residents and a firefighter suffered minor injuries in a one-alarm fire Sunday morning that left a San Jose home uninhabitable, a fire captain said.

    Crews were dispatched around 7:45 a.m. to a home on Rockway Drive in the Alum Rock neighborhood where they saw heavy fire in a garage that had spread to the home's living space, according to San Jose fire Capt. Reggie Williams.

    A family of four was able to escape the blaze but two of the residents suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation and were sent to a local burn center for treatment, Williams said.

    "You know the fire, when we first got here was in a smoldering state. As it got some oxygen, the front room and kitchen flashed on the firefighters inside," Williams said. "We had flames through the roof up to 10-to-15 feet."

    A firefighter also suffered a minor burn while fighting the fire and was treated at the scene and released.

    Fire crews had the blaze under control around 9:50 a.m., Williams said.

    The blaze caused major damage to the home, leaving the four residents without a home. The American Red Cross was on scene this morning to provide housing assistance.

    Williams said the fire appears to have been caused by a cooking appliance left on in the home's garage and is considered accidental.