Man Surrenders After Overnight Standoff - NBC Bay Area

Man Surrenders After Overnight Standoff

Standoff ends without injury in Oakland



    Oakland police and Alameda County sheriff's deputies are in a standoff with a suspect who has barricaded himself inside a home in Oakland tonight, a sheriff's official said. Cheryl Hurd reports. (Published Monday, June 4, 2012)

    An armed stolen car suspect who barricaded himself inside an East  Oakland house and fired at Alameda County sheriff's deputies on Monday night  was in custody by early Tuesday morning, a police spokeswoman said.

        The suspect, who fled from sheriff's deputies earlier Monday and  took several hostages in the home in the 500 block of High Street,  surrendered at around 3 a.m. today, Oakland Police Officer Johnna Watson said.

       No one was injured during the standoff, Watson said.

        The three hostages were released Monday, but the  standoff continued for several more hours while police and sheriff's deputies  surrounded the house.

      The drama began at around 8 p.m. Monday near the corner of 41st  Avenue and International Boulevard when sheriff's deputies attempted to stop  three suspects in a vehicle that was reported stolen, Watson said.

        After a brief chase, the three suspects fled the vehicle on  foot. One of the people inside was detained by police but has not been arrested,  one remains unaccounted for, and the third barricaded himself inside a house  in the 500 block of High Street, Watson said.

        The barricaded man fired a shot at a sheriff's deputy but no one  was injured, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. J.D. Nelson said.

        Two hostages, a woman and a child, were released by 10 p.m. and a  man was held hostage until he was released shortly before midnight, Watson  said.

        After the suspect surrendered, police entered and searched the  house and determined that there were no other hostages.

        The suspect knows the man who lives in the house, but to what  extent and what their relationship is has not yet been determined, Watson  said.

    Bay City News contributed to this article.