One person was hospitalized with second-degree burns and two dogs died in a fire Saturday morning at a Castro Valley home, Alameda County fire officials said.
The blaze in the 18400 block of Milmar Boulevard was reported shortly before 6 a.m., when several callers described smoke and flames coming from the first floor of the two-story home, Alameda County Fire Department spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.
Firefighters said the cause of the fire was a space heater on the first floor. The fire was extinguished within 20 minutes.
Alameda County firefighters quickly contained the one-alarm fire and prevented its spread to neighboring homes, Knowles said.
A man who lived at the home suffered burns while attempting to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. Two other residents, a woman and a baby, were able to safely escape the burning home before firefighters arrived.