San Francisco Readies for Post Super Bowl Trouble - NBC Bay Area


Coverage of the San Francisco 49ers

San Francisco Readies for Post Super Bowl Trouble



    Jean Elle talks to a San Francisco Giants fan who was beat up trying to break up rowdy fans after his team won the World Series. His lesson to 49er fans. (Published Friday, Feb. 1, 2013)

    On Friday San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon added his voice of warning to San Francisco 49ers fans concerning post-Super Bowl reveling in the City. 

    Gascon said celebrate, but do it responsibly - or face the consequences.

    "We will not tolerate the types of property destruction and violence that took place during the World Series," Gascon said Friday at a press conference. 

    San Francisco Police and the Sheriff's Department will have extra patrols out monitoring crowds. Some reports said 450 officers will be on the streets Sunday night. 

    Images of a San Francisco Giants fans burning a Muni bus after the World Series win in October are still on the minds of city officials as they face a second championship game this weekend. A total of 36 people were arrested during post-game celebrations in October, 23 of them for felonies, including assault on a police officer, negligent discharge of a firearm, robbery, resisting arrest, battery and arson.

    Some San Francisco residents, such as Simon Timony, are planning to be more cautious after the game.

    Timony said he will be avoiding street celebrations all together.

    On the night the Giants clinched the World Series, the 28-year-old tried to stop vandals from burning a bus at Third and Market streets. He says he intervened because people were on the bus,

    "People smashing in windows I remember going up and grabbing them and shoving them off and saying this is not what we do," Timony said.

    But the crowd turned on him and he ended up with a broken nose, a concussion and chipped teeth. He worries about the timing of the Super Bowl, "When it gets late at night and people been drinking win or lose it's gonna be something to keep an eye on."

    Celebrants also lit a number of bonfires in the middle of Mission Street and broke windows at local businesses.

    The district attorney reminded people that the potential penalties for the defendants involved in the World Series crimes range from 25 years to life in prison for defendants with previous strikes to three years in county jail, three years probation and 150 to 200 hours in community service.

    "One night of mayhem could have consequences that will follow you the rest of your life," Gascon said.

    Gascon's warning followed a tour of the Mission District earlier this week by Mayor Ed Lee, Police Chief Greg Suhr and Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White. The tour was intended to reassure merchants and residents in the Mission District, where many storefronts were damaged or vandalized with graffiti during the revelry.

    “The chief and I, and the fire chief, are all down here walking together to reassure everybody that we want the greatest celebration we can on a win," Mayor Lee said earlier this week.

    Lee made national headlines when he made a comment last week asking that bars in the Mission limit or consider how much they serve hard liquor to their patrons.

    “I’m not really sure that not serving hard liquor will help,” Nick Balla, a chef at Bar Tartine restaurant on Valencia Street said. “I think that just bodies is the main thing – more security, faster response.”

    Chief Suhr didn't give any specific numbers but said that there would be a lot more police officers on the streets on Sunday, compared to the police presence after the World Series win.

    “We’ll double up on the amount of officers that are going to work post-game for what we believe to be a huge celebration,” Suhr said during the tour.

    Suhr said the department’s safety plan after the NFC championship game worked well, with police netting a dozen arrests, mostly for public intoxication.

    He said it was so successful, the department was able to send officers home early, cutting down the amount of overtime to one-third of the original allotment.