President Donald Trump's personal aide is leaving the White House and will rejoin his campaign, but sources told NBC News reported he is under investigation by the Secret Service for serious financial crimes.
Two federal law enforcement officials told NBC News that John McEntee, served as the president's personal assistant, was under investigation. One said his security clearance had been "in limbo for some time."
A source had told CNN that McEntee is under investigation by the Departmet of Homeland Security for serious financial crimes unrelated to the president.
Trump's 2020 Republican campaign announced Tuesday morning — before reporting that McEntee is under investigation — that he will serve as a senior adviser for campaign operations, calling him and another new hire, 2016 campaign spokeswoman Katrina Pierson, "proven leaders."
McEntee was one of a shrinking group of campaign aides still working in the turbulent West Wing.
Trump's White House has seen a rash of exits recently. Trump announced Tuesday that he had ousted Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. Trump's top economic adviser Gary Cohn left recently amid internal debate over Trump's plans for tariffs.
Politico reported in December that McEntee, a former University of Connecticut quarterback, would chat with Trump about football and family.
But he was escorted out of the White House on Monday after being fired for an unspecified security issue, The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday, citing two senior administration officials.
McEntee was working with interim security clearances as of November, NBC News reported. The White House wouldn't comment about personnel, a senior official said.