Two Tennessee teens are dead and two others sickened after drinking a mixture of racing fuel and Mountain Dew, dubbed "Dewshine," a poison control official said.
Tennessee Poison Center Medical Director Donna Seger said the teens evidently thought they could drink methanol, which is extremely toxic, as a substitute for ethanol, the ingredient in alcoholic beverages that causes intoxication.
Seger said the Robertson County teens didn't realize drinking methanol could kill them, and she called last week's poisonings an accident.
U.S. & World
She said it's the first time she has seen this type of poisoning. The four cases are the only ones reported in Tennessee, and Seger is not aware of any cases in other states.