San Francisco Aims to Improve Safety for Pedestrians, Bikers at Twin Peaks - NBC Bay Area
San Francisco

San Francisco

The latest news from around San Francisco

San Francisco Aims to Improve Safety for Pedestrians, Bikers at Twin Peaks

The city is considering plans to shut down the east side roadway to all cars and buses.

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    One of the Bay Area's most scenic spots might be getting a makeover. Mark Matthews reports. (Published Monday, March 14, 2016)

    San Francisco's popular Twin Peaks might be getting a makeover.

    The city is considering plans to shut down the east side roadway to all cars and buses. The roadway would be only available to pedestrians and bicyclists, according to the proposed plan.

    The idea behind the plan is to make Twin Peaks safer.

    "It's definitely a little dicey walking across here," San Francisco-resident Peter Holm said of the east side roadway. "I think it's a good idea."

    Bike rider Jeff Perrone said the plan would actually make his ride worse.

    "All the parking all the way around the figure-eight will disappear and there's very limited parking up here," Perrone said.

    Perrone is worried huge traffic jams will result from too many cars and not enough parking.

    "Something there will be like a hundred cars parked around the figure-eight," he said.

    The city maintains it will keep cars and pedestrians from having to share the same road.

    "This plan will provide people who want to walk with a dedicated place walk, SFMTA spokesman Paul Rose said. "It'll provide bikes with a dedicated place to ride their bikes and it'll have a separate lane for people who are driving on the figure-eight."

    Rose stresses the plan is a pilot or temporary program to see how things work.

    The timing of the project comes on the heels of a lawsuit filed against the city over the death of a woman who was struck and killed by a drunk driver as she walked along a stretch of the Twin Peaks figure-eight.

    The attorney representing the woman's family said the safety measures could have been put in place years ago, but the city's position in the lawsuit was that there was nothing that needed fixing.

    "They maintained throughout the entire lawsuit that there was nothing wrong with the roadway and this was despite 30 years of knowing that they need to make changes," attorney Doris Cheng said.

    The case was settled last year for $350,000, an amount approved by the board this year.

    With safety measures now being proposed, the San Francisco Attorney's Office said there is not correlation and the timing is coincidental.

    Get the latest from NBC Bay Area anywhere, anytime
    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android