It’s déjà vu all over again for Los Angeles sports fans. Just like with the Lakers last year, Dodgers supporters are unable to watch their team unless they have Time Warner Cable.
Dodgers games are only being shown on the team’s new channel, SportsNet LA, which is distributed solely by Time Warner. Major television distributors DirecTV, Dish, FiOS, Charter and Cox do not have agreements to carry the station.
Frustrated fans can try to watch the game at bars and restaurants but many of them do not have SportsNetLA either.
“We live in LA and we can’t even get the local team,” said Rob Nevera, manager at Big Wangs in Hollywood. “We’re a sports bar, so when we don’t have the sports it has a negative impact on business.”
Some bars and restaurants have resorted to getting two television providers to ensure they have all the games.
“We want to carry everything,” said Erica Minor, a spokeswoman at 33 Taps in Hollywood. “We know some things aren’t on DirecTV so we have to carry Time Warner as well.”
- Watch: Dodgers Fans Get Upgrades
Time Warner is paying $8 billion over the next 25 years to broadcast the Dodgers. They cover 30 percent of the Los Angeles area, leaving the remaining 70 percent in the dark.
Time Warner has launched an "I Need My Dodgers" campaign to try and put pressure on other providers to carry SportsNet LA. At this time there is no word as to when other providers will get the station, but negotiations are ongoing.