Stockton Robbery Suspect Charged with Triple Murder

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    KCRA
    Jaime Ramos is seen in San Joaquin County Superior Court, Monday, July 21, 2014.

    The only surviving suspect in last week's bank robbery, police chase and deadly shootout in Stockton that left three dead, including one hostage, was charged Monday with three counts of murder.

    Jaime Ramos, 19, was also charged with 22 counts of attempted murder of police officers involved in the pursuit, as well as additional counts for the dozen homes struck by bullets. He faces a total of 35 felony charges.

    Joaquin County Chief Deputy District Attorney Ron Freitas said police continued their investigation over the weekend while his office drafted the charges stemming from Wednesday's bank robbery and hour-long running gun battle.

    The charges, including kidnapping, robbery and being a gang member, could make Ramos eligible for the death sentence if convicted.

    Ramos appeared before a packed courtroom Monday, which included the son of 41-year-old Stockton mother Misty Holt-Singh, who police say Ramos used as a human shield during a gun battle. The confrontation left police cars riddled with bullet holes and an entire community reeling.

    Authorities are still trying to determine who fired the bullet that killed Holt-Singh. An autopsy may be able to answer that.

    The other two suspects who were killed have been identified by the coroner's office as Gilbert Renteria Jr., 30, and Alex Gregory Martinez, 27.

    Investigators say Martinez robbed the same bank back in January.

    Police continue their search for the driver who took the robbers to the bank.

    The robbery suspects were known gang affiliates with deep criminal pasts and no qualms with taking human life amid their "reckless and chaotic" crimes, police said.

    Holt-Singh left her 12-year-old daughter Mia in the car when she ran into the Bank of the West building for what she thought would only be a minute or so.

    After that, all hell broke loose, resulting in the kind of crime Stockton police say they haven't witnessed in recent history.

    Holt-Singh's family said Friday they are launching their own investigation into the incident.

    At times in tears, the family thanked friends, family, community members and even strangers from all across the country for the outpour of love and support they have received.

    “What happened to Misty is a nightmare,” Holt-Singh’s husband Paul Singh said. “It’s something I would never want to happen to anybody.”

    The family urged law enforcement agencies to be transparent with sharing information -- including dispatch logs and video -- about the incident, including protocols followed during the deadly police chase and gunfight.

     

    KCRA-TV and The Associated Press contributed to this report.